Monday, September 17, 2012

One down...385 to go!

I have finished the first book on my journey.
My favorite chapter was the chapter on Art.  It was short but interesting.  You obviously can’t fit everything about art into 12 pages or so.  Anyway, he did give props to the three major kinds of art; music, theater, and fine arts.  


Here is a quote from the chapter “Colonial Expansion and War”, “The publishers wanted to print a history that should have rhythm –a story which galloped rather than walked.  And now that I have almost finished I discover that certain chapters gallop, that others wade slowly through the dreary sands of long forgotten ages –that a few parts do not make any progress at all, while still others indulge in a veritable jazz of action and romance.  I did not like this and I suggested that we destroy the whole manuscript and begin once more from the beginning.  This, however, the publishers would not allow.” 

This quote makes me feel sorry for van Loon.  It seems he spent a good six years writing this and was not happy with it.  I know it was hard for me to get through, but that does not make it a bad novel.  I’m glad the Newbery was given to him, because it was a way for all his work to go noticed.  It is a very informative piece, and would recommend it to any child who wants to learn a lot about history.  It is far better than any text book could be, and when van Loon’s voice comes through, it is interesting.  

This book continues to be updated every so often.  The most recent version came out relatively recently.  Cool side note: It is the only Newbery book to have been partially written by Anonymous.  

The next book The Windy Hill by Cornelia Meigs.  Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment