Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Story of Mankind

a.k.a. The Beginning

If you think about it, and believe me I have, this task is a daunting one.

There are over 380 books to be graced with this honor in the last 90 years.  My goal is to read every one of these books before the Newbery award turns 100.  (December 31 2021)  That comes out to a little more than one book every two weeks.  This doesn't account for the additions to the list that come every year. 

Three major problems with keeping on a tight schedule:

1. Obtaining the books: a lot of these books, especially at the beginning of the list, cannot be found by just walking into your local library or bookstore. (Some can't even be found on Amazon...yeah, crazy, I know) So most of them will have to be found using ILL (inter library loan) from the college where my husband works.  

2. I'm terrible at keeping up with things.  I just am...so I'm really going to have to focus on this one because it's such a good idea (at least I think it is) and I really want to finish this...for me.

3. Having a life. Taking care of my baby, hanging out with my husband, looking for a job and doing graphic design work...now adding this.

The Story of Mankind by Hendrik Van Loon

This is the very first Newbery Award winner and thus my very first book to read.  My next post will be about the book, so until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment